About Me

My photo
Stephenville, Newfoundland, Canada
SCAPA is a NO-kill, NO-cage animal shelter serving the Bay St. George area of Western Newfoundland. SCAPA survives solely on the support of the community and it's volunteers.

Thursday 19 January 2012

See For Yourself

I'd like to take a post to talk about some of the misconceptions surrounding SCAPA.

Unfortunately, in a small town, the rumour mill is strong and the words of others can have a devastating effect. As stories are passed around the community in what seems to be a never ending game of telephone, we're left wondering where these stories originated and why isn't anyone bothering to come find out for themselves?

This is something I encourage everyone to do. In fact, it wasn't until I did this very thing that my entire opinion surrounding SCAPA had changed.

Like so many others, I fell for the rumours. I believed that SCAPA was over crowded, that it was dirty, that the animals were unhealthy, and that we would perhaps do better with a government funded shelter, the SPCA. How wrong I was!

Once I finally went to see for myself and spent sometime in the shelter, with the animals and with Gwen and Dolores, who spend their days volunteering and running the shelter, my thinking did a complete 180.

While I can sit here and tell you that there is no over-crowding and the animals all have plenty of space and comfort, they are vet treated, that while the building is an old building it is cleaned on a daily basis and renovations made as needed and that because we have SCAPA instead of an SPCA all of our animals have plenty of time to find a forever home suited to their needs, I encourage you to go find out for yourself. It's only once people open up their minds to the truth that they can begin to help make a difference!

Volunteering with SCAPA has made a positive difference in my life. Nothing feels better than helping those in need. If you are interested in volunteering please get in contact with us.

(If you are interested in stopping by please do so between 2-4pm. While there are volunteers on site at other times, they are too busy with the daily tasks of the shelter to take visitors until these hours.)

No comments:

Post a Comment